Anfechtung is a German word for which there is no English equivalent. It is the word Martin Luther used to portray His many trials, struggles and afflictions. It can describe a trial sent by God to test a man or an assault by the devil to destroy a man. It is doubt, turmoil, panic, despair, desolation and desperation all rolled into one.
However, anfechtung is not a wholly negative experience, for, in Luther’s own words, “Without it no man can understand scripture, faith, the fear or the love of God. He does not know hope who was never subject to temptations… (David) could not have had such profound insights if he had not experienced great assaults.”
A few well-known Biblical experiences of anfechtung are Joseph in prison, Job among the ashes, David in the wilderness, Jonah in the whale and Jesus in Gethsemane. Who can say that God did not use these experiences in tremendous ways? Indeed I have written to encourage all God’s children to endure “the dark night of the soul” for it is the best and perhaps the only way into the depths of the knowledge of God.
If upon reading this you would say that it is too dark or too negative or that God would not allow such a thing, I can only say that if there is hope or light in the midst of it, then it is not anfechtung. And that faith is no faith that can see light at the end of the tunnel.
Robert Nicholson 2003
“There is more faith in an ounce of doubt than there is in a hundred pounds of doctrine”
-Unknown
- About Me
- I began writing poetry early in my walk with God. I have found it to be the best and sometimes the only way to express what God has made real in my heart. All of these poems are gifts from Heaven to me. Writing them and even re-reading them myself has blessed me beyond measure. I now pass the gift on to you. May you be touched and changed.
Copyright Notice: I have registered all the poems on this site with the U. S. Copyright office. I have done this for the sole purpose of safeguarding them from misuse or corruption, and not because they are "mine" exclusively. I believe that all my work belongs to God alone and is to be used to further His kingdom. To that end, permission is granted to print, copy, or otherwise use this work. I only ask that in whatever way, Jesus Christ is glorified as Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment