I began writing poetry early in my walk with God. I have found it to be the best and sometimes the only way to express what God has made real in my heart. All of these poems are gifts from Heaven to me. Writing them and even re-reading them myself has blessed me beyond measure. I now pass the gift on to you. May you be touched and changed.

The Crack

Prologue
A hard heart, a stony heart
Hardened by years of sin
A closed heart, a walled heart
That will let nothing enter in

A still voice, a small voice
Speaking so low but so strong
A loving voice, a pleading voice
Singing out God’s love song

Is it a crack, a real crack
Appearing on this stone cold heart?
A small crack, a tiny crack
But a place where God can start


My faith has long been gone
Can’t remember where I turned back
My heart has been hard so long
And now is fortified and strong
And I don’t see a single crack

Deep inside there’s still a cry
My heart is not completely black
My hopes are not yet ready to die
All the while God is drawing nigh
A sliver of light shines through a crack

Do I dare to try to live again?
Is it possible to get on track?
Oh, I want Him to wash my stains
Even though it will cause me pain
His love floods through the crack

I missed him more than I knew
I was so blind to my lack
Self had constantly filled my view
I forgot that He gave me life anew
God’s presence returns through the crack


Epilogue
A wedge of grace, a wedge of love
Is fitted into the crack
Hammer of mercy, hammer of God
Begins a Holy attack

It’s splitting, It’s breaking
This heart that once was so hard
It shivers, it splinters
Breaks into dozens of shards

This breaking, this rending
It seems to be wrought with pain
This wounding, this hurting
Is then washed in God’s loving rain

No comments:

Copyright Notice: I have registered all the poems on this site with the U. S. Copyright office. I have done this for the sole purpose of safeguarding them from misuse or corruption, and not because they are "mine" exclusively. I believe that all my work belongs to God alone and is to be used to further His kingdom. To that end, permission is granted to print, copy, or otherwise use this work. I only ask that in whatever way, Jesus Christ is glorified as Lord.