One day a friend asked me how to say “Hallelujah” in Spanish. At first I was stumped, but then I realized it was a trick question. A few hours later I wrote this poem about that and other universal “words”.
When a child is starving in poverty
There’s no food, no hope, no place to go
When tears well up in hungry eyes
And down innocent cheeks freely flow
When a teenage girl is lonely and hurt
Weary of life, neglected and abused
When she cries and cries with no one there
No one to help when she feels so used
When a soldier sees such hopeless pain
And there’s no comfort in religious death
When his soul is empty of hope and joy
Tears flow free, sobs choke his breath
There are no words that need be spoken
All the barriers have been broken
Tears are the same in any language
When a dirt poor child is clothed and fed
It doesn’t matter the race or creed
When a smile breaks through that child’s face
That’s too often sad and in need
When a young beauty is accepted and loved
Not for her looks but for what is inside
When tear-stained cheeks lift up in a smile
All pretence gone, love comes to abide
When a bitter hardened soldier hears Christians sing
And he smiles with joy at the God of the song
When the God that was hidden is revealed at last
He smiles from a soul that finds for what it longed
There are no words that need be spoken
All the barriers have been broken
A smile is the same in any language
When children gather, sitting in a circle
Singing a simple song of God’s love
When joyful voices in unison sing
With the Father smiling from above
When she’s accepted, loved unconditionally
And through tears of joy gives thanks and praise
When all sin and sadness she leaves behind
And life has meaning, His banner to raise
When with rifle on shoulder he walks into church
Now a soldier of Christ, worshipping with glee
When unshackled by grace, mercy and love
And embracing Jesus, now happy and free
There are no words that need be spoken
All the barriers have been broken
“Hallelujah” is the same in any language
- About Me
- I began writing poetry early in my walk with God. I have found it to be the best and sometimes the only way to express what God has made real in my heart. All of these poems are gifts from Heaven to me. Writing them and even re-reading them myself has blessed me beyond measure. I now pass the gift on to you. May you be touched and changed.
Copyright Notice: I have registered all the poems on this site with the U. S. Copyright office. I have done this for the sole purpose of safeguarding them from misuse or corruption, and not because they are "mine" exclusively. I believe that all my work belongs to God alone and is to be used to further His kingdom. To that end, permission is granted to print, copy, or otherwise use this work. I only ask that in whatever way, Jesus Christ is glorified as Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment