I began writing poetry early in my walk with God. I have found it to be the best and sometimes the only way to express what God has made real in my heart. All of these poems are gifts from Heaven to me. Writing them and even re-reading them myself has blessed me beyond measure. I now pass the gift on to you. May you be touched and changed.

Not Just the Nails

Not just the nails in hands and feet
Not just the scourge with which He was beat
Not just the spitting,
The mocking, the hitting
Not with just this was His pain complete

Not just the nails, not just the beating
But all our rebellion and all of our cheating
We who blaspheme and curse
Who mock, revolt and worse:
Revolution, terror and political competing

Not just the nails, but all of the hate
We who murder, steal and think that it’s great
Selling drugs that kill
Robbing the poor and ill
Stealing from widows, not caring about their fate

Not just the nails, but the fornication
Pornography and lust and child molestation
Splitting families apart
Breaking innocent hearts
Corrupting the souls of nation upon nation

Not just the nails, not just the cries
But all of our embezzlement, gossip and lies
All of our deceiving
Our own lies believing
Delusion and falsehood, posturing and guise

Not just the nails, but all of the pride
That smug self-exalting that we carry inside
“Be the best, have the most”
Building self up with our boast
Behind facade and mask, fearing truth we hide

Not just the nails, but all of the shame
Along with our sins, He bore all the blame
Hate and lust, pride and booze
Of all these, He was accused
Mocked in public, bearing a criminal’s name

Not just the nails upon which He hung
Not just the whipping and all that was done
But Jesus endured
So we could be cured
The sum of all sins since time has begun

No comments:

Copyright Notice: I have registered all the poems on this site with the U. S. Copyright office. I have done this for the sole purpose of safeguarding them from misuse or corruption, and not because they are "mine" exclusively. I believe that all my work belongs to God alone and is to be used to further His kingdom. To that end, permission is granted to print, copy, or otherwise use this work. I only ask that in whatever way, Jesus Christ is glorified as Lord.