My hands are dripping with blood
They are so hideously stained
My clothes are black with filth
My heart is racked with pain
Then I see lying at my feet
A young body mutilated
Face down in a pool of blood
An innocent one violated
Who performed the ghastly deed?
Could I have been the one?
I try to convince myself I couldn’t
And yet now the deed is done
My guilt, it dawns upon me
Tears cloud my dumbstruck stare
How could I have done this?
Despairing screams pierce the air
A child of the Good Father dead
Tormented by my own hand
Helpless now to save myself
My life He will surely demand
I wish I had never been born
Alas, it cannot be undone
I fall on my face in tears
Such a hate worthy, wretched one
A sudden feeling comes,
As weeping I lay in despair,
That I am no longer alone
I look up and someone is there
A Man is standing over me
And what a wondrous sight
His face shines with grace and love
His clothes are dazzling white
He stares serenely upon me
I hang my head in shame
He is so pure and innocent
Of murder I am to blame
The contrast is so vivid
I am dark and He is light
And yet He is unashamed
He seems to know my plight
He kneels and meets my eye
Understanding shows in His face
His smile mixed with peace and pain
He conveys forgiving grace
I don’t know how I know this
But He loves me despite my shame
His peace invades my inner soul
And mingles with my pain
As I kneel there broken
Sobs again choking my breath
Men-at-arms approach me
To avenge the child’s death
I summon the strength to rise
To meet them face to face
Willing to admit my guilt
Needing to bear my disgrace
But ere I can say a word
The Stranger steps up and speaks
“It was I who killed the child;
I am the one whom you seek”
Too dumbfounded to talk or act
I watch them come and bind Him
He does not struggle or resist
As they tie His hands behind Him
Then, as I am about to shout
To say He is the wrong man
The words just die in my throat
As I see the blood on His hands
I don’t know what to think
As they lead the Man away
Somehow I see it’s all right
Seems He wanted it this way
But what does it accomplish
This innocent One dying?
For I am left here stained
Before this child crying
I feel compelled to look again
Upon the victim of my crime
Weeping tears of repentance
I lose all track of time
Finally I lift up my eyes
And, behold an amazing sight
My hands are now free from stain
And my clothes are dazzling white
- About Me
- I began writing poetry early in my walk with God. I have found it to be the best and sometimes the only way to express what God has made real in my heart. All of these poems are gifts from Heaven to me. Writing them and even re-reading them myself has blessed me beyond measure. I now pass the gift on to you. May you be touched and changed.
Copyright Notice: I have registered all the poems on this site with the U. S. Copyright office. I have done this for the sole purpose of safeguarding them from misuse or corruption, and not because they are "mine" exclusively. I believe that all my work belongs to God alone and is to be used to further His kingdom. To that end, permission is granted to print, copy, or otherwise use this work. I only ask that in whatever way, Jesus Christ is glorified as Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment